Frequently Asked Questions
The quality of the sound from your singing bowl very much depends on your skills. Hearing a perfect sound is not immediate; it is a journey you will learn as you use the bowl more often. In the beginning, the sound may come flat, but as you practice and interact more with the bowl, the sound gets purer, warmer and stronger. Its voice grows wiser. Patience is required and hastiness will only ruin the sound that comes from the bowl. You must be very calm and focused when you play your bowl.
- Hold the bowl in your palm(usually in the non-dominant hand) at solar plexus level. Fingertips should be relaxed, elbow away from the body. Hold the wooden ringing stick in the other hand(dominant side) like a pencil, fingers pointing downwards.
- Stay calm and gently tap the bowl on the rim to warm up the bowl.
- As the bowl begins to vibrate, create a continuous sound by rubbing the stick against the edge of the bowl in a clockwise motion.
- Apply pressure; the friction of the ringing stick against the outer rim produces vibrations, which result in sound.
- Use full arm motion, not using your wrists.
- For smaller bowls (Under 7”), try to hold it with your fingertips, and play using the wooden side of the stick.
- Experiment with your speed. Usually people go too fast. Let the sound build up slowly as the singing bowl picks up vibration.
You will need practice to make this work perfectly. Singing bowls are, after all, instruments and must be learned how to play. Use pressure, but not too hard. You may try doing this at different angles and time will tell what the best angle is for you.
- 2 soft cloths
- 1 cup of vinegar (any inexpensive brand)
- 4 tablespoons Pink Himalayan Salt
It is recommended to re-energize your bowl and clean your bowl.
To re-energize the metals, it is recommended to leave the bowl under the full-moonlight, sunlight, in the earth, or out on auspicious nights. As the metals interact with the celestial bodies and this is when their vibrational energy is the strongest.
To clean your bowls using the traditional Newar* method: *The native people of the Kathmandu Valley
1. Gently swipe a soft cloth dipped in a solution of 4 tablespoons of Pink Himalayan salt (rich in 84 essential elements) and one cup of vinegar.
2. Rinse the bowl thoroughly with water, ensuring that the salt and vinegar solution is completely removed.
3. Take the second soft cloth and over a very thin layer of beeswax or olive oil on the inside and outside of the bowl, let it stand for 5 minutes.
4. Gently remove the beeswax or olive oil completely to ensure the oil does not get on your clients clothing.
Cleaning does not affect the sound of the singing bowl.
Over time the color of your singing bowl may change and the voice of the bowl will gain wisdom and beauty. Vibrations and overall healing power increase with use and age.
About 7 or 8 inches in diameter. These bowls offer a good balance of ease of use, versatility, and cost. Bowls under 6″ and larger than 9″ may be more difficult to play and manipulate.
Every bowl is completely unique. While you can find the frequencies that a bowl produces, the bowls are not tuned. Like people, singing bowls produce complex blends of tones that make up their unique voice.
Our bowls are tested for their therapeutic quality and are not attuned. Due to the nature of Chakras and resonant frequencies, we leave that up to the user.